Packed with protein and healthy fats, Dr. Peter Brukner's Broccoli and Cheese Soup is a winner in so many ways. Easy to prepare, tastes amazing, and will please everyone in the house (even those who think they don't like broccoli!).
Our tip: This soup freezes well. Place cooled soup in individual-serve, airtight containers, cover and freeze for up to 1 month.
- 1.5 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 800g broccoli, chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 60g (1⁄2 cup) grated vintage cheddar cheese
- 125ml (1⁄2 cup) pure cream
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped fresh, to serve
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add broccoli and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 8–10 minutes or until broccoli is tender but still bright green (be careful to not overcook).
- Set aside to cool slightly then blend the soup in batches using a handheld blender.
- Return soup to a clean saucepan and heat over low heat. Add cheese and 60ml (1⁄4 cup) of the cream, stir to combine and season with black pepper.
- Serve with a drizzle of remaining cream, sprinkled with chives.
NOTE: We recommend batch freezing any leftovers in single portion re-usable zip-lock bags so they're ready to go!
Join Australia's first evidence-based and doctor-led program transforming the health of Australians. Download the Defeat Diabetes app today.
Visit the Google Play Store.
Visit the Apple Store.