The versatile cauliflower strikes again, and this time, we've turned it into a pizza. Load it up with mozzarella cheese, bake until crispy and you've got a low carb alternative to traditional carb heavy pizza.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 35 minutes
- 1 small head cauliflower (around 15cm diameter)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- For the topping
- 1 cup passata
- 1 ball mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 cups rocket
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Separate cauliflower head into smaller florets using a small sharp knife.
- Place florets in a food processor and blitz until it has a rice-like texture. A few larger ‘chunks’ are ok. (You can also use a bar mixer for this, just blitz in a meal bowl in smaller batches. You could also grate the cauliflower finely instead. Some supermarkets now sell cauliflower rice in packs, if you prefer us this and skip this step.)
- Spread the cauliflower rice evenly in a thin layer on the baking paper. Cook in the oven for 8 minutes. Remove, then increase the oven temperature to 230 degrees celsius. Set the rice aside and allow the rice to cool so that it is comfortable to handle (5-10 minutes).
- Line a large bowl with a linen tea towel or chux. Tip the cooled rice into the tea towel or chux. Hold the four corners of the cloth in one hand and with the other hand squeeze out as much liquid as possible into the bowl. Open the cloth, stir around and the cauliflower, close the cloth and repeat squeezing. Really squeeze hard! You want the mix to be as dry as possible so that it bonds and crisps up. You should be left with a cauliflower mash that’s very dry.
- Transfer squeezed cauliflower to a large clean, dry mixing bowl. Add beaten egg, mixed herbs, cheese, salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and brush with olive oil. Tip the cauliflower mixture onto the tray and flatten it with your hands until it is about 1cm thick. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 230 degrees celsius until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and carefully flip the pizza base onto a fresh sheet of baking paper. Return the pizza base to the oven for a few minutes until the other side is also golden.
TIP: Feel free to mix up your toppings. Asparagus and parmesan is a great combo too!