These low carb, low sugar cupcakes are the perfect choice if you’re managing blood sugars but are craving something sweet.
- 1 tsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 pack Simply Swap Foods Cheeky Chocolate Cupcake Mix
- 1 cup blueberries, plus extra for decorating
- ½ cup salted butter, melted (125 g)
- 3 large eggs (60 g)
- ⅓ cup preferred milk (eg. coconut, almond, full fat dairy etc)
- 12 small mint leaves, to decorate (optional)
Chocolate buttercream icing
- 125 g unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup monk fruit icing sweetener (powdered)
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- Preheat oven to 170°C and grease and line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cases. Lightly coat the paper cases with coconut oil or olive oil to avoid sticking.
- Pour the entire dry mix contents into a large bowl with the blueberries and stir to mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together melted butter, eggs and milk.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and fold together gently.
- Pour the mixture into the lined muffin tray and bake for 20-25 mins or until cakes spring back when lightly touched in centre (or a skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean).
- Leave the cakes in pan for 5 minutes before removing to cool on wire rack.
- To make the buttercream icing, place the butter in a medium bowl and beat with an electric beater while adding the sweetener one spoonful at a time. Beat well after each addition and blend together until light and fluffy.
- Add cocoa powder and vanilla essence and continue beating on low speed until well combined, scraping down the sides of bowl where necessary.
- Ensure the cakes are fully cooled before topping with buttercream icing, mint leaves and berries.