This recipe works best with large flat coconut flakes, sometimes called coconut chips, as opposed to shredded or desiccated coconut which is smaller. You can also use any variety of nuts in place of almonds and pecans.
Coconut Crunch Granola
- 4 cups coconut flakes (200g)
- 1 cup almonds, slivered
- ½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup pepitas
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted (or avocado oil or olive oil)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180℃/356°F and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients excluding the oil and egg. Toss well as you want the cinnamon to be dispersed.
- Add in the oil and toss to coat well. You want everything to be coated in oil before the egg goes in.
- Add in the beaten egg and toss to coat well. Spread out onto 2 trays in a thin even layer. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden. You may wish to swap the trays over to allow for even browning.
- Continue checking the granola to prevent burning. If the granola is still pale, you can leave it in the oven for another 3-5 minutes. If it is browning too much in one section and not the other, give it a stir with a spatula to move the clusters around. Leave to cool and store in an airtight container or jar.