French Onion Quiche with Gruyère
- 3 cups almond flour, blanched
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter, melted; (60ml)
- 1 large egg, (+ 1 yolk)
- 3 small brown onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 eggs
- 200 ml cream, thickened
- 100 ml full cream milk
- 90 g Gruyère cheese, grated
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Heat oven to 180°C/356°F fan-forced.
- Place flour, butter, and salt in a food processor and process for 10 seconds until it looks like coarse crumbs. Add egg and pulse until it just comes together as a ball of dough. Press dough into a 20cm fluted tart tin. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In a frypan over low heat, melt butter, add onions and cook until caramelised. Spread over the bottom of the cooked pastry shell. Beat eggs, cream and milk together, then stir in cheese. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Pour in the filling, lay strips of prosciutto over the top and scatter with parsley.
- Bake the quiche in a preheated oven for 40 - 45 minutes, until set and lightly browned on top.
- Serve warm.