Halve the carbohydrates by swapping sugar for natural sweeteners such as powdered erythritol or stevia leaf. If your palate isn’t used to sweet foods, use 85% chocolate or higher, and reduce the amount of sugar/natural sweetener, this will also reduce the carb count further.
Preparation time: 10 mins Cook time: 40 mins Serves: 16
- ¾ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup erythritol or xylitol
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80g dark chocolate (70﹪ or 85﹪+) chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F and line a baking pan (approx 20cm wide) with baking paper.
- Combine dry ingredients (except chocolate pieces).
- Mix melted butter, eggs and vanilla together in a separate bowl.
- Combine the wet with dry ingredients, then add chopped chocolate and mix well.
- Add batter to the baking pan and cook in the oven for 30 mins. Cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Serve as is or with cream and berries.
Alert: This recipe contains a little more sweetener than we’d usually recommend, so we suggest keeping this one for special occasions only. Because hey, everyone’s got to live?!
Join the leading evidence-based, doctor-led program transforming the health of Australians. Start your free trial today.