Packed full of protein, our Low Carb French Toast also provides antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits thanks to cinnamon and nutmeg.
Low Carb French Toast
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon, grounded
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 slices 80-85% low carb bread, e.g 80% Alpine low carb plain bread
- 4 tbsp maple syrup, sugar-free; e.g. Lakanto
- berries, fresh; (optional)
- In a shallow dish or bowl, whisk together the eggs, almond milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well combined. Set aside.
- Preheat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Grease the pan with 1 tbsp of the butter for frying.
- Dip one slice of low carb bread into the egg mixture, coating both sides evenly. Allow any excess mixture to drip off.
- Place the coated bread slice into the preheated frying pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy. Turn carefully using a spatula.
- Once cooked, transfer the French toast to a plate. Repeat the cooking process with the remaining slices of bread until all are cooked.
- Divide the toast between two plates and serve warm, drizzled with sugar-free syrup or topped with fresh berries, or sprinkled with extra cinnamon if desired.