Peppery Chicken Curry
- 500 g chicken thigh fillet, pieces – cut into 2 cm chunks
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- ½ tsp turmeric, ground
- pinch saffron
- 2 tsp black peppercorns, freshly crushed
- 3 onion
- 3 tbsp ghee
- coriander, fresh; to garnish
- Place chicken in a shallow bowl. Mix together garlic, ginger, salt, vinegar, turmeric, saffron and 1 tsp of pepper. Spread over the chicken and leave to marinate.
- Peel and chop 1 onion. Place in a food processor and blend to a paste.
- Slice the remaining onions and set them aside.
- Heat ghee in a deep pan. Add sliced onions and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes until softened and golden. Add onion paste and continue to cook over low heat for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Add chicken and marinade and cook, stirring to coat all sides and brown the meat. Add 200 ml water, bring to a simmer and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked and tender.
- Serve garnished with coriander and extra ground black pepper.