Please everyone in your household with this juicy, tender and easy roast chook. This dish is also perfect for mixing and matching the vegetables according to the season and what you have available at home.
Pot Roast Chicken And Vegetables
- 1 chicken, approx 2kg
- 2 onions
- 2 carrot, large
- 1 leek
- 3-4 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbsp butter
- 250 ml white wine
- 250 ml water
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/392°F degrees.
- Slice the onions and cut carrots and leek into large chunks.
- Place the chicken in a large casserole dish that has a lid.
- Arrange the vegetables and herbs around the chicken.
- Rub the butter over the chicken breasts, then add the water and wine to the dish.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- With the lid on, place the dish in the oven for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, remove the dish and take off the lid. Baste the chicken with any fat in the liquid.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/356°F degrees and return the chicken to the oven, with the lid off, for a further 30-40 minutes. Use a skewer to pierce the breast or thigh - the chicken is cooked when the juices run clear.
- Carefully remove the chicken from the dish and cut it into quarters (or into sized pieces of your choosing). Serve the chicken with some of the cooked vegetables and ladle over some tasty juices from the pot. Season with more salt and pepper if required.