Swap crisps or high carb crackers for our Defeat Diabetes seed crackers, and add them to cheese platters or snacking plates for visitors. They also make an easy breakfast or lunch served with butter and vegemite, cream cheese and tomato – whatever topping you like!
This recipe makes 30 small crackers or 16 medium sized crackers. Macros are based on a serving of two medium crackers.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 60 minutes
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1-2 tbsp pumpkin seeds or linseeds (or add more sunflower)
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk powder
- ¼ cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- Optional: 1-2 tsp oregano or other additions to your taste (fine without, too!)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F (160º°C/320°F fan-forced).
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix the water, eggs and salt in a separate jug. Add to the dry ingredients and combine well.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and spread the mixture out so it’s just a few millimetres thick.
- Shake dried oregano or other herbs over the top if desired, or simply add extra salt or other flavourings (optional). Bake for 15 mins.
- Remove crackers, slice into desired sizes then return to the oven at 130°C/266°F for 40 mins (otherwise they will be too dry at the end to slice and will shatter). Add more time in the oven if they are still soft after 40 minutes.
- Ensure the crackers are fully dried and set before storing them in an airtight container.
Tip: You can experiment with seeds or flavours too – add spices or dried herbs such as oregano for some variety.
Join the leading evidence-based, doctor-led program transforming the health of Australians. Start your free trial today.