Traditional bagels are a very carb-heavy dish, but with the use of almond flour, you're not only bringing down the carb content, but you're also getting a huge dose of healthy fats and protein - keeping you fuller, for longer.
Smoked salmon is also bursting with Omega 3 fatty acids and protein, and the full-fat cream cheese adds great flavour to this recipe.
Smoked Salmon Low Carb Bagels
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup almond flour, ground
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsps sesame seeds
- 2 tsps poppy seeds
- 100 g smoked salmon
- 4 tsps capers in brine
- chives, snipped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/374°Fand line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Stir together the almond flour and baking powder in a microwave-safe bowl until well mixed. Add mozzarella cheese and cream cheese and stir until blended. Microwave uncovered for 45 seconds, stir, and microwave again for another 45 seconds or until the cheese is melted. (If you have a powerful microwave, do this in 20 second bursts to avoid the mixture overcooking.)
- Remove from the microwave and blend the mixture together using a wooden spoon until it forms a smooth dough. Add the egg and stir vigorously into the dough until absorbed. (It may take a bit of elbow grease to beat it in well!)
- Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, then using your fingers pull apart a small circle in the middle of each.
- Place bagels at least 5 cm apart on the prepared lined baking sheet. Brush olive oil across the tops of bagels. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and poppy seeds.
- Bake until bagels are golden brown on top, around 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven; they will still be soft, let them cool on a baking tray.
- To serve, slice bagels in half and grill cut-side up until golden.
- Top one half with smoked salmon (butter optional) and a sprinkle of capers and chives. Pop the remaining bagel half on top and enjoy.
- Cream cheese and berries
- Goat cheese and cucumber
- Ham, lettuce, and tomato