With the addition of zoodles (that’s zucchini noodles to you and me) it’s an awesome low carb dinner the whole family will enjoy!
Zippy Zoodle Bolognese
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- ¼ long red chilli, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 300 g minced beef
- 400 g passata, (or 400g can crushed or diced tomatoes)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 2 tsps oregano, dried
- 1 zucchini noodles, (packet pre-made or make your own with 2 medium zucchinis and a spiraliser)
- salt and pepper, to season
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese grated
- basil leaves (optional)
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil on medium-high heat in a deep frying pan. Add the onion and carrot and fry for 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic and minced beef. Break apart the mince with a wooden spoon and move around the pan so it browns for 5-8 minutes.
- Add the passata, Worcestershire and oregano and stir through the mince. Cook until bubbling. Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook covered with a lid for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large frying pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil on high. Add the zucchini ‘zoodles’ and cook for 30 seconds. You want to warm the zucchini noodles but not cook them - there should be a little crunch to them. Be warned, if you cook them too long you’ll end up with soggy vegetables. Season with a little salt right at the end.
- Serve zucchini ‘spaghetti’ with Zippy Bolognese sauce. Top with grated parmesan, pepper and some fresh basil if you have.