Enjoy a hearty ‘pasta’ without the carbs!
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 35 minutes Serves: 2
- 3 tbps extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- ¼ long red chilli, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 300g beef mince
- 400g passata (or 400g can crushed or diced tomatoes)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 2 tsps oregano
- 2 tbsps grated parmesan
- 1 packet pre-made zucchini noodles (or make your own with 2 medium zucchinis and a spiraliser)
- few fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Heat 2 tbsp extra vigin olive oil on medium-high heat in a deep frying pan. Add the onion and carrot and fry for 3-5 minutes until translucent and soft.
- Add chilli, garlic and beef mince. Break apart the mince with a wooden spoon and move around the pan as it browns for 5-8 minutes.
- Add the passata and stir through the mince. Cook until bubbling.
- Add Worcestershire and oregano. Stir and bring to boil then turn the heat down to a simmer (medium-low). Cook covered with a lid for 30 minutes.
- If making your own, prepare your zoodles by spiralising your zucchini. If not – just open the packet!
- After 30 minutes give the meat mixture a final stir.
- Heat a large frying pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil to sizzling hot. Add the zucchini ‘zoodles’ and cook on high heat for 30 seconds. You want to warm the zucchini noodles but not cook them – you want a little crunch to them. Be warned, if you cook them too long you’ll end up with soggy vegetables. Season with a little salt right at the end.
- Serve zucchini ‘spaghetti’ with Zippy Bolognese sauce. Top with grated parmesan, pepper and some fresh basil if you have.
Join the leading evidence-based, doctor-led program transforming the health of Australians. Start your free trial today.