Warm Veggie Salad with Almonds
This is an awesome and versatile veggie dish to serve for lunch, as a side or even as a main meal if you're hankering for something a little lighter. Mix it up with your fave vegetables or even try serving with a dollop of natural yoghurt, mayo (homemade of course!) or labneh.
Preparation time: 15 mins Cook time: 25 mins Serves: 2
- 100g brussels spouts, halved
- 1 cup diced and peeled pumpkin
- ½ cauliflower, broken into florets
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- sea salt and black pepper to season
- 2 thin slices pancetta
- ¼ cup smoked almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 cup picked parsley leaves
- 3 large free range eggs
- Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F fan-forced.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Reduce to simmer, then carefully place the eggs in the saucepan, and bring back to a gentle boil. Cook for 6-6.5 minutes, then drain and refresh in cold water. Set aside and peel carefully, when cool enough to handle.
- Place Brussels sprouts, pumpkin cubes and cauliflower on a tray, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil and roast in the oven for 20 minutes until golden, turning halfway through.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy-based fry pan, add onions and mustard seeds and cook over low heat for 10 minutes until caramelised. Set aside.
- While the onions are caramelising, grill pancetta over medium-high until crisp (about 2-3 minutes), then cool slightly.
- Add roasted pumpkin, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts to the frypan with the onions and mustard seed. Drizzle over the sherry vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Pile the warm vegetables into a serving bowl. Break the grilled pancetta into large shards over the salad.
- Scatter over the almonds, parsley and top with halves of soft boiled egg.
Tip: This salad will work with most roasted veg so it's a great way to use up the soft limp veg in the fridge drawer! Try fennel, zucchini - even carrots!
Tip: Can't find smoked almonds? Use roasted almonds instead, or flaked almonds that have been gently toasted in a dry frypan over low heat.
Join the leading evidence-based, doctor-led program transforming the health of Australians. Start your free trial today.
Start your free trial here.