A nutritious, low carb alternative to the classic Italian carbonara.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes
- 250g zucchini, cut into zoodles
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tbsp cream
- 10g (1/8 cup) parmesan cheese, plus 1/2 tbsp to serve
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 25g pancetta, diced
- 1/2 clove garlic, crushed
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Place zoodles in a large colander, sprinkle with sea salt and set aside for 10 minutes. Rinse zoodles under cold running water. Pat dry with absorbent paper to remove excess moisture.
- Whisk the egg yolks, cream and parmesan together in a medium-size bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoons of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the pancetta, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a plate and set aside. (Skip this step if you're making a vegetarian version.)
- Heat remaining oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add zoodles and cook, tossing with tongs, for 1–2 minutes or until just tender. Do not overcook. Remove from heat.
- Return pancetta to the zoodle pan with egg mixture and quickly toss, until egg mixture coats zoodles and forms a glossy sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately garnished with parsley and extra parmesan.
Tip: Don't toss out your egg whites! Pop them in a container and freeze for later use (just remember to note on the container how many egg whites are in there!).
Join the leading evidence-based, doctor-led program transforming the health of Australians. Start your free trial today.
Start your free trial here.